Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Zookey Zarling

Here is what keeps us going despite the daily challenges we face on our way to success. I believe that success is not measured according to your achievements but instead is measured according your abilities of overcoming failures. Mom Cool posted an inspiring post on her wall and I felt like sharing it with the world. Check it below. 


Hi
My name is Zookey Zarling. I am a radio presenter for @gagasifm every Monday-Friday from 9am-12pm since 2012.

Prior to that I was the Project Manager for The Centre for Creative Arts at the University of Kwa-Zulu Natal where I read, researched, watched film, talent scouted and traveled mainly Africa and Europe for 2 literature festivals including a Poetry Festival, a dance festival and a film festival.
Before that I was working in my company travelling with local artists to Europe: countries like Czech Republic, Switzerland, Germany and the UK to promote trade and turn local talents into business opportunities. This included poets, musicians, fashion designers, Jewelry designers, crafters (omama bamacansi, ubuhlalo, leather work etc). My job was and concept was to introduce them to foreign markets and sell African art in exclusive 5 star boutiques and hotel's.
Before that I worked as the Events and Promotions manager for Gateway Theatre of Shopping creating weekly events.
Before that I worked for myself doing social corporate investment projects for the likes of Nelson Mandela Children's Fund and managed African Musicians Against HIV/AIDS.
Before that from Age 20 I was a Marketing Manager for Ikwekwezi Fm a Ndebele Radio station belonging To the SABC.
My first formal job was at East Coast Radio (after being a tea girl for the Lunch Bar on Smith Street at age 16 and a sales attendant for Jadwats from 17 to 18 years and a receptionist for BM Tours for my first few months of 19)...
I was a receptionist for a few months before being promoted to PR and Marketing assistant.
I studied part time in order to pay for my own studies and I went door to door for every job I got except for the Varsity. They approached Me while I was promoting artists and the arts abroad and Gagasi fm offered Me the job via LinkedIn a "business social media platform" (after having seen me in action) and I had approached them to sponsor the HIV/AIDS clinic called Hope Centre that I was fundraising for via Me climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
What do I do after my shows?
I am a social commentator and am invited to speak, write, read and or perform for various Organisations including Government departments, corporate companies, schools, community organisations and private individuals.
My company continues to project manage various Arts and Community festival's whilst my Foundation creates public and private partnerships for Young Adults faced with real life problems.
All my projects and work concentrate on building awareness and assistance for young adults that battle with social ills of; unemployment, substance abuse, domestic abuse and skills development...
This platform is an extension of my heart and life.
Life has never been easy for Me. I don't Come from a rich family, nobody has ever borrowed or given me money to help me archive my goals. I have worked hard, burnt the midnight oil, been rejected, had my ideas stolen. Ngawa. Ngalahlekelwa. Ngavuka.. Ngawa futhi. Kwadliwa izomoto. Kwadliwa imizi. Ngablack listwa. I paid for debts of things I no longer had.
I have failed and been laughed at far too many times To even care for individuals called haters. Anginasikhathi to try be loved by individuals who don't know my struggle nor put butter on my bread.
I am love in action and this page with long updates is my autobiography.
Thanks for being here and I thought to tell u a bit more of who I am.
Mom Cool

Like Her Facebook Page: Zookey Zarling

No comments:

Post a Comment